Sweet Josephine Success!

I have great news!  My Josephine top in Rifle Paper rayon came out wonderfully!  I love, love, LOVE it and have already worn it multiple times.  It's one of those tops that I don't want to relinquish to the hamper at the end of the day.  And it's washing and drying well too.  It worked... it really worked!  I can sew myself a top!


the details

Pattern:  Josephine by Made by Rae

Size:  Medium, though I measured medium-large

Fabric:  Paint Roses Black by Rifle Paper from Crosscut Sewing Co.

At first this top fit a little tight under the arms, even after adjusting the side seams at the muslin stage.  Before adding the bias finish, I cut the arm openings about 1/2" lower under the arms.  Much better.  I also shortened the top by 1" at the hem since I am a little short-waisted.  Now that I've transferred these adjustments to my pattern pieces, I could make another one so easily!


My only disappointment with the top is that the split at the neck falls open in the wrong way due to the floppy nature of rayon.  It tends to fall inside, instead of falling open.  Not a big deal.  When I make another sleeveless version with the split neckline, I think I'll add some lightweight interfacing at that section or do a peekaboo opening as Rae demonstrated here

Now the world of rayon is opening before me!  I'm enchanted with the fabric, which doesn't seem to stretch (it's woven) and yet has a much nicer drape than quilting cotton.  It feels quite heavenly!  If it needs ironing, this rayon challis presses beautifully smooth.  Maybe I'll make a long-sleeved Josephine top for fall or try one of Rae's other patterns! 

But first I'd like to use my scraps from this top to make Rora a dress.  Fingers crossed there's enough left...