Friday, November 20, 2015

Design {Improv Handbook Score #2}

On Monday I shared my first cuts into the string sheets I sewed up a la Improv Handbook score #2.  I had such fun designing the rest of the quilt this week.  Come see!

Design {Improv Handbook Score #2}

First I cut and put up on my design wall the large, main diamonds.  I cut the triangles for those large diamonds freehand, aiming for equilateral triangles for practical construction reasons.  Being equilateral, I can tip the triangles on their side, creating movement by changing the orientation of the string stripes.

Wanting more happy, tipsy diamonds (naturally), I cut a row of smaller ones and set it out below.  Much to my delight, a zigzag pattern of background striping appeared between the large and small tipsy diamonds.  Yay!

Then I was stuck.  More tipsy diamonds?  How many rows would look right?  What scale would allow me to balance the rows I'd already made?  A quilt composed entirely of those tipsy diamonds didn't feel quite right.  Hm....

Design {Improv Handbook Score #2}

Here's what happened next!  I cut my black and white string sheet into a bunch of even smaller equilateral triangles.  They looked sharp stacked in a non-diamond layout.  Those who've taken my Angled class might recognize that this whole quilt is built on the construction principles we practiced in the Indian Blanket quilt project.  I feel moderately confident I can sew these different angles together, even though they're irregular due to the ruler-free paradigm.  Moderately.

Then I decide that I don't want this quilt to be composed of simple, repeating rows of triangles.  Adding a simple stripe of saturated sheet across the top suits me.  A large, black and white triangle at bottom makes a statement in negative space.

Design {Improv Handbook Score #2}

The next step is to actually sew these puppies together.  I started with the first design element - the large, tipsy triangles.  Combining equalizing techniques (see back of The Improv Handbook for Modern Quilters) and my understanding of sewing angles, I was able to cut background triangles that fit nicely with the freehand saturated triangles.

Design {Improv Handbook Score #2}

My first rows sewed together just fine.  Maybe too fine.  I'm a little nervous that I'll equalize and strategize the irregularities right out of the work!  I love how Sherri's quilts have a topsy-turvy, free spirited personality.  Here's hoping I find a way to take risks while joining these triangles.

Have a great weekend!  See you on the other side.



11 comments:

  1. Wow this is looking incredible, I like this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm amazed at the different feel the colors have now that the design is happening. Before they seemed to have a winter by the lake feel, from what I could see. Now they they seem fresh and much bolder. Magic is happening!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks to each of you! I agree, Annabelle, the colors turned out to be more bright and upbeat than I expected (or intended). I just finished the top. I hope I can quilt it quickly and share it soon!

      Delete
  3. I enjoy following your progress with those Improv Handbook scores. I even checked out Sherri Lynn Wood's web page to get an impression of how other quilters interpreted the scores. It does look like a very liberating way of working. I am looking forward to seeing the finished quilt top.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've bought the book on the basis of your posts. Looks fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so cool to see how this all comes together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Megan! That's pretty much how I feel. Sometimes I feel like a spectator with the fabric and shapes taking the stage.

      Delete
  6. So fun!!! I love that you share your ideas along the way. I'm still working on my Indian Blanket and this makes me want to get back to it! I bet your knowledge of sewing angles has come in really handy here. It's looking fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enjoying this whole series immensely. I love diamond and triangle quilt designs so I'd like to try this improv.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails