Monday, March 31, 2014
Yes, this one did come together quickly! But remember, I used so many already-pieced sections that it was mainly juggling design elements and filling in with scraps or yardage. Mostly I threw paint at the canvas and things splattered into place. I think the vibe is going to work nicely for my almost-teenage niece who likes things on the wild side!
I think this crazy quilt is going to look best on a bed. It's best to zoom in on the little bits and pieces rather than try to take it in as a whole, cohesive work (which it's not). I do like how the black is sprinkled throughout. Nice and moody.
This big section of gingham-like patchwork is one of my favorite parts. So glad I saved those pieced bits. I had originally made them as a border for this quilt, and was bummed after I did so much piecing and discovered didn't like the effect. So grateful I saved them now, rather than using them anyways.
Bound in Cracking Codes by Anna Maria Horner.
Oh, I've been meaning to show you something! Want to see how I photograph these big bed quilts?
Awhile back my husband used metal piping to create a big T-stand quilt holder. I made this brown sleeve designed to accept the metal pipe. I simply safety pin the sleeve to the back of my quilt top, being careful not to go all the way through the quilt so that you won't see the pins.
Then we slide the metal pipe through one sleeve, through the T-shaped pipe fitting and through the other sleeve. He drilled a hole in the pipe fitting so that a screw can be tightened to prevent the pipe from sliding during photos. All-in-all it's a heavy contraption, but it works. He likes this better than trying to hold his arms as far as possible, plus this way even tall quilts can get clearance! So grateful for my handy man.
Next up... something more slow and steady.