I don't mix voile and quilting cottons in patchwork. The different fabric weights have a tendency to fight, weakening the seams. So when I made those voile curtains, I set aside bunches of silky scraps that became my Pixie Churns quilt and, today, a new covered journal.
It's nice to start an improv projects with all fabrics already designated! And, since these are from the same designer, they also mix and match so well. My only thought when throwing them together is to keep the warm and cool colors from congregating too tightly in one spot. Other than that, I try to keep the direction of movement changing and to mix up big and little pieces.
This was just what I needed today. I have lots and lots of repetitive sewing to do, and I have been doing it daily for a week now. Since I got such an early start on my work day, I decided to let myself unwind with improv piecing.
One of my dear Penny Sampler campers requested an Anna Maria Horner scrappy gift. I hope this will make her smile!
If you'd like to make a covered journal, stop by my tutorial. This time I lined the work with muslin since voile tends to be rather sheer. But, I don't normally line them. Whatever works for you!
Now off to do my sewing duty... Everyone have a great day!