Hello there! Do come in. I've finished recovering my sewing chair. Come see! Come see!
Ok, so the making took longer than I expected. Once I had patched those 168 squares, I basted the patchwork fabric to the chair back with basting pins like so:
Then, I pulled the fabric around the sides, trimmed to the right shape and folded under raw edges. Pinning everything just so was slow, but critical.
Next, after a lengthy hunt for my one curved needle, stitching began. Thimble definitely required here (or these great stick-on pads)! The curved needle was key since I'm sewing through the black twill chair fabric pulled tight up against a hard plastic back. There is no way to flex a needle to get it back out, which is why most of my straight pins in the previous step just go straight in. The curved needle goes in and comes back out almost spacing the stitches automatically based on the curve of the needle.
Last of all, I hand quilted the chair back in place, sewing through the
black twill chair fabric and catching the cushion underneath sometimes
too. This should prevent the patchwork fabric from stretching and
shifting... I hope.
Phew! In comparison, making the chair seat was easy-peesy. It only needed 100 squares and no fancy attachment. I simply created a drawstring casing around the edges of my square work, wrapped it over the chair seat and cinched it tight.
I really love how it looks from the back too. I've only recovered one chair so far.... but someday I'll do the one that goes at my desk as well.
For now, this happy patchwork sewing chair is going to live over by the Juki. Because Juki's HEART patchwork and I HEART my Juki. Lots of love going round this space!
Pink Chalk Studio blog, where you can enter to win one of fifty $20 gift certificates all month long by commenting on each post... all while visiting sewing spaces across the globe. Such a fun idea!
Thanks for stopping by. Do come again!