Yesterday I was thinking I wanted to (should) work on making a pillow cover for the stark naked pillow form gracing our couch. (By the way, I had to buy a new form because the first one, filled with microfibers, totally wore out. It got smaller and lumpier over time. I kept putting it in smaller pillow covers until eventually I decided it was toast. I just bought a new, huge feather-stuffed form and hope it lasts longer.)
Anyhoo, I vaguely desired to improv piece a cover, but somehow got roped into pulling out my triangle scraps (exhibit a). Not sure who made me do that? I can't really find anyone to blame.
The triangle scraps suggested that I could make a zigzag cover with half square triangles (HST). So, I spent a good part of "rest time" sorting through the scraps, pulling out colors I liked and laying them out into zigzag formation.
Then I got really grumpy. Rest time ended. I realized that I would have to sew like a million HST blocks and carefully trim and sew each one to make enough zigzags for a large enough pillow cover. Because of the average size of my triangle scraps, each finished HST block would be about 1.5". Ugh. And, the kids weren't exactly behaving like angels at the moment.
I couldn't hear myself think. I felt obligated to use the triangles which I had carefully sorted out. Steam started to rise from my head. I retreated to the bathroom and had a snappity conversation with myself, trying desperately to figure out what I wanted to do. I prayed. I breathed deeply.
I emerged haven given myself permission to shelve the triangles and try to be happy sewing something else.
And then the triangles had another idea! Make us into hourglass blocks of random sizes! And figure out how we become a pillow cover..... LATER.
So now I have these hourglass blocks. I like them. They were fun to sew. They used twice as many triangles as HST blocks would use per need-to-trim. Today, after I do some work for Curves Class, I have high hopes that they will sort themselves into a snazzy pillow cover.