I was tagged by an old friend-turned-crafty to share 13 things. But rather than 13 random things, I hereby give you 13 random things about ME and stitching.
1. I was raised to fear the sewing machine. My mom completed all of 2 projects on her machine, relentlessly thwarted by broken needles & tangled thread. I blame it on her 80's Singer. She still has it.
2. I quit fashion school (FIDM in San Francisco) during my first sewing class, Apparel Design I, about one year into my degree. No, I do not regret it.
3. Sometimes I sew with my mom's oooooold thread. Oh yes, living on the edge! Her amyethyst purple thread (jumpsuit anyone?) is stitching up my current work-in-progress.
4. Selling my childhood My Little Pony collection financed the purchase of my sewing machine, and my first (crazy-large) fabric stashing. Those plastic ponies changed my life.
5. I was adamant when considering features I'd need for my machine, that I would NEVER, EVER be making quilts.
6. In my opinion, everyone should know how to mend a hole and sew a button on. I mean, really, should anyone be that helpless?
7. I don't really have a favorite color, but I will name green under duress. And, for some reason, I tend to dislike black in prints unless the palette is strictly black and white.
8. I am no longer scared of the zipper. Well, at least not the invisible zipper...
9. I hate unfinished projects, and only have 2 abandoned/unfinished ones (one is a set of coasters from scraps and the other is almost a year old - I promise to work on it soon!). I think this is cause my Aunt was infamous for committing to sew for others, taking materials and then never finishing the job. Oh my goodness, I don't want to be "her".
10. It's easy for me to say "no" in almost all aspects of life. But, when friends ask me to sew for them I loose all powers of smooth-talking refusal.
11. My mom gave me confidence in my sense of color as a child by asking my opinion on her crafty art. She made dried and silk floral arrangements for gift shops and custom order, and would often request my opinion on balance and color while in process. It meant so much to me.
12. My children are the most beautiful things I'll ever make.
13. I don't have a SINGLE quilting cotton print in my stash over 1 yard. Is that normal?
Now, I believe the etiquette is to tag 3 other friends to share. But, I think it would be more fun if you would, dear reader, share 1 random thing about you and your stitching in the comments here (or just make fun of my mom's amethyst purple jumpsuit).
I'm all ears...